The national independent awards programme for the Scottish legal industry has launched its 2021 competition with a pledge to recognise achievements in Scottish law during the pandemic.
The 18th annual Scottish Legal Awards will highlight the work of individuals, teams and firms working in Scottish law throughout the last twelve months.
Entries are now open in 18 categories which reflect the broad work of Scotland’s 12,000 practising lawyers. Categories include a new Business Resilience Award which seeks to identify innovative and creative measures adopted by legal firms to respond to the health crisis.
A judging panel of 12 highly experienced and highly regarded legal professionals will be chaired by Shonaig Macpherson CBE. She commented:
“These awards are more important than ever this year as we seek to highlight the extraordinary effort of individuals and teams in Scottish Law to work throughout the global health crisis of the last year. The Scottish Legal Awards can offer firms a fantastic opportunity to reward resilient, hard-working teams while also shining a light on achievements. I look forward to reviewing and debating the work of firms and lawyers across the country with the judging panel. “
This year, the event will be staged as a hybrid event with a digital broadcast planned alongside a live event which is scheduled to take place on Thursday 23 September 2021 in Glasgow.
Applications should be submitted before 12 noon on Wednesday 19 May. The judging panel will debate in June and the finalists will be announced in early July.
The 2021 awards continue to raise funds for two appointed charities; Lawscot Foundation which supports young people in studying law in Scotland and It’s Good 2 Give, which supports families who have children with cancer. Donations will be raised via a new registration fee payable online when entering the competition of £140 + VAT per company or firm. 50% of the proceeds will be donated to both charities equally.
For further information on entering the competition visit www.scottishlegalawards.co.uk
The 2021 Categories:
· Firm of the Year
· Lifetime Achievement Award sponsored by The Times
· Chairman or Managing Partner of the Year sponsored by Scott & Co (Scotland)
· Lawyer of the Year
· Business Resilience Award
· In-House Lawyer of the Year
· Paralegal of the Year sponsored by Millar & Bryce
· Rising Star of the Year
· Litigation Team of the Year
· Real Estate Team of the Year
· Residential Property Team of the Year
· Commercial In-House Legal Team of the Year
· Public In-House Legal Team of the Year
· Criminal Defence Firm of the Year
· Support Team of the Year sponsored by Wolffe
· Excellence in Client Care
· Community Contribution Award sponsored by Frasia Wright Associates
· Legal Technology Award
The 2021 Judging Panel:
· Shonaig Macpherson CBE, Chair of the Judging Panel
· Greig Cameron., Business Editor, The Times
· Dr Sarah Hendry, Senior Lecturer Head of Dundee Law School
· Janet Hood, Owner, Janet Hood Training and Consulting Limited
· David Lee, Director, David Lee Media & Events Ltd
· Christine McLintock , Past President 2016-2017, The Law Society of Scotland
· Graeme McWilliams, past Convener, In House Lawyers Committee
· Paul Mosson, Executive Director of Member Services and Engagement, The Law Society of Scotland
· Philip Rodney, Founder of Rimalower Consulting
· Frasia Wright, Managing Director, Frasia Wright Associates